Welcome!

Welcome!
This blog was designed for the purpose of helping any students interested in taking the AP Enlish Literature exam or anyone else. This blog contains mainly assignments that were given to me in my english class. They can serve as study tools and as examples of what AP classes do. The material is easy to understand and I can always help with any questions. Contact me through email at tatiana161@live.com or through this blog if you have any questions. Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hamlet Essay

            Hamlet was a man of many words and of little action. Every word in the novel Hamlet by William Shakespeare has a significant meaning that changes the plot of the story being told. Every word that was spoken by a character demonstrates what type of character he/she was, it demonstrated their personality. Hamlet was one of the many characters who would say a lot but did very little and that resulted in a lot of the chaos that occurred in this novel, the way Hamlet acted is not the way many of us would have.
            The illocutionary force in Hamlet contradicts itself, Hamlet swears to seek revenge but he never takes action to do so. Hamlet also tended to say that he loved Ophelia but he never showed this by physically doing something. The fact that Hamlet never took action on his part allowed Claudius to continue to ruin his life. For example, since Hamlet did not kill Claudius when he had the opportunity it resulted in Claudius being able to send him away to England. Unlike Hamlet, when I think about doing something I actually go through with it. When I notice something going on that I do not like I take action immediately to try and change that, I do not wait.
            Reflecting on an experience causes a person to remember that experience more; it also causes the person to learn from it. For example, Hamlet is constantly contemplating over his father’s death and that caused him to be unable to forget about it. When I constantly reflect on an experience that I have gone through it is hard for me to forget about it and it causes me to learn from that experience as well. It is also clear to see that the more one reflects on an experience and realizes the mistakes the more changes that will occur do to it.
            Though Hamlet was written many years ago it is still relevant to present day examples. For example, a motive to seek revenge is still seen in present day, and though that motive is around many do not act upon it. There are also many people out there like Claudius who wait for an opportunity to take power away from someone at any cause. Like previously stated every word stated in Hamlet contributed to the overall significance of the novel.

1 comment:

  1. We wrote almost about the same thing on our essay!
    I like the way you organized yours though,mine was all over the place. I'd like some advice on how to write a good thesis statement plz!(:

    ReplyDelete